Anthrax with a Twist
On April 30, 2005, my husband Phil and I ventured downtown to the House of Blues in Chicago. We were more than excited to be heading to this show, considering the last time Anthrax was in town I was in bed with a deadly case of bronchitis and couldn’t go. Even more exciting was the fact that it was the original lineup, which hadn’t been together in about twelve years. Not to mention, it was only one of a few shows they were playing in the United States, and we were at the first sold out night of two in Chicago.
We were lucky enough to snag a parking garage that only charged us six dollars, and we only had to walk a few blocks to the venue. We are always apprehensive about going into the city for a show, since we always end up getting lost. This has happened more times than I’d like to admit.
As we stood in line waiting to get into the House of Blues, we listened to people around us talking. The guy standing behind me was talking about an old Anthrax t-shirt he used to have but couldn’t find, and it turned out I was wearing the exact shirt he had been missing. Outside, I had my leather jacket on, so he couldn’t see that I was wearing it. But inside the building, with my jacket off, he was giving me strange looks as if I had stolen it from him or something. It was quite humorous.
We were standing in a spot where people obviously thought the stairs were to get down to the main level by the stage. We were not. Keep in mind that this was a sold out show, and it was body next to body next to body in the place. I am not a tall person, and wouldn’t you know it, the tallest guy in the place stands in front of me. It seems to happen at every show I go to, oddly enough. For the record, I’m five feet tall, so it doesn’t take a whole lot to be taller than I am.
As the night goes on and we’re still waiting for Anthrax to take the stage, I am getting more frustrated by the minute as people are shoving me out of the way to get to what they think are the stairs. As I said before, they were not the stairs to get to the main level by the stage. This does not stop people from shoving me out of the way to get to the magic stairs, nor does it stop them from shoving me out of the way to get back when they realize their mistake. There was, however, one very polite, long-haired gentleman who kept going back and forth for drinks, but he always tapped me on the shoulder and said, “Excuse me.”
I was so frustrated during Anthrax’s first set that I finally turned to Phil and told him that the next person who shoved me out of the way was going to get an elbow to the groin. No sooner had the words left my lips, I was being shoved. My elbow lurched backward and I made contact, only to look up and find a giant drunk guy, who probably didn’t even know I had touched him. And yes, he shoved me again when he had to make his way back.
Not long after Giant Guy made his way back, I was shoved again. Now, anyone who knows me, knows that I am a pretty laid back person, and don’t get riled very easily. It takes a lot to get me angry, and this was the last straw. With both hands and as much strength as I could muster, I pushed the guy square in the back. He flew forward, and the only thing that stopped him were the bodies in front of him. A split-second later I turned to see Brian Posehn, the actor, standing next to me. A security guard was leading him through the crowd, and I pointed him out to Phil.
The guy who had been standing next to me the entire night turns to his friend and says, “Dude! Wait until so-and-so finds out Keanu Reeves is here!”
Keanu Reeves? My brain was scrambling to make a connection. Why would Keanu Reeves be at the Anthrax show? Then again, why was Brian Posehn at the Anthrax show? Keanu Reeves was in one of Anthrax’s last music videos, and it turns out, was in Chicago filming a new movie. It didn’t take long to realize that Keanu Reeves was the guy I shoved in the back and sent flying across the House of Blues.
I have only this to say. He shoved me first.
© Kathleen Strelow 2005

4 Comments:
Fun story, Kathy. Hey, if you're going to push some guy, you might as well make it a memorable event!
OMG!!!! You're kidding! I love Keanu Reeves! What a neat story, Kathy and one in which I know you'll remember for a long time. Man, how neat, Keanu Reeves!
Kathy, I won't mess up your blog with my picture, okay? Good job. I like the story. Good on you!
Keanu Reeves is one lil ol cutey pie, ain't he? Say, I heard he was gay? probably is! (Huge sigh) ll the best looking ones are!! LOL!
Keep writing,
Linda
Too funny! REALLY? Wowzers. Quite ironic, because I went to NJ to photograph Anthrax on Friday and then Testament the following day on Saturday...I blogged my adventures of these shows, but I don't think I can top a Keanu Reeves incident!
Post a Comment
<< Home