Heart of the Country
Our very best friends live about two hours away from us, and we love to visit them out in the country. I am a country girl trapped in the body of a suburban girl, and I have always loved farms and the countryside. Phil and I have dreamt of moving out to the country for some time now, and God willing, it will happen when the time is right. It’s true that the night sky is clearer in the country, and you can see thousands, if not millions, more stars.
Lucky as I am to have two months off in the summer, I try to make a trip to the country at least once a week. I love hanging out with my friend Barb and her two little girls (our goddaughters), Sammi (4) and Sophia (2). I see a lot of things on my two hour drive to their house, and there are so many places I long to stop in and visit. Places that are on the beaten path, but unless you take the scenic route, you would never know they existed – roadside stands, antique shops, mom and pop restaurants, you name it.
In the spring, Barb and I headed over to her neighbor’s house where she was selling home grown plants, with all proceeds going to the Sunday school at their local church. Kathy has her own greenhouse, which sent me into a frenzy because I’ve always wanted to have my own greenhouse. This greenhouse, however, is unique in that it used to be the old pig house when her in-laws ran the farm many years ago.
There were so many plants to choose from, I didn’t know where to start. Kathy had herbs, vegetables, flowers, you name it; it was almost overwhelming. The part I loved the most was just standing on the property near the greenhouse where all the plants were organized and labeled for easy identification, admiring the farmland. I have always wanted to live on a farm, and felt so at peace there.
I ended up purchasing a flat of marigolds and six basil plants. Within that first week I had given away two basil plants, sharing the farming love. I planted the rest of my basil in containers and left them outside where I can see them through the family room window. Since we haven’t had much rain I’ve had to water them every night, but it’s been a labor of love just knowing I have fresh basil at my fingertips whenever I want it. I have tried several new recipes, and there is nothing like the taste of an herb you have helped grow yourself.
This morning I made scrambled eggs for breakfast, which is a big deal because I never eat anything more than toast or cereal for my morning meal. I added a little bit of salt and pepper, and threw in some fresh basil and it was the most delicious scrambled egg meal I’ve ever eaten.
I can’t wait for breakfast tomorrow!
© Kathleen Strelow 2007

1 Comments:
Oh, yum!! That is so cool!! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home